Kids are naughty and troublesome sometimes but they are cute, aren’t they? But do you know that there are half of youngsters across the globe under five are not getting enough vitamins and minerals? Kids just won’t know if they are undernutrition, it is us, the elder ones’ work to sort them out and solve it.
- Weight. Children will gain weight either at slower or faster rate. However, if they have problem gaining weight or lose weight for no reason, these might be a sign for you to start checking.
- Growth. The same thing like weight, if they are not outgrowing clothes, you know what to do.
- Appetite. Notice how they eat during mealtime. If they only take a few bites or just come out with “Im not hungry” particularly when it is their favourite food.
- Always sick. This may be due to depressed immune system rather than naturally weak immune system. Yes, take them to healthcare professionals for verify their undernutrition.
- Mouth. Cracks on mouth corner that won’t heal as well as bleeding gums are also worth noting as an indication.
- Tiredness and irritability. Undernutrition kids sleep for unusually long time or easily get angry over tiny things.
Start it now
Now you have known the signs for undernutrition kids, be sure to start noting these signs. You won’t know if it is already happening now!
- Aly, W. (2019, Jun 5). 5 signs that a child might be lacking the proper nutrition. Retrieved 25 October 2019, from https://www.insider.com/signs-of-malnutrition-and-malnourishment-in-children-2019-6
- ASPEN. (2018, September 24). FIVE WARNING SIGNS THAT YOUR CHILD IS MALNOURISHED. Retrieved 25 October 2019, from https://www.feedingmatters.org/five-warning-signs-child-malnourished/
- 1 in 3 young children undernourished or overweight: UNICEF. (2019, October 15). Retrieved 25 October 2019, from https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/unicef-young-children-undernourished-overweight-diet-12000744
- https://www.freepik.com/free-photos-vectors/food”>Food photo created by senivpetro – www.freepik.com