Since the 1920s, the flood has been one of the most recurring disasters in Malaysia that happen every year. Especially the east coastal regions such as Kelantan, Terengganu, and Pahang are badly affected when the Northeast Monsoon season started in November until January.
Previously flood was limited only to the city center with flash floods. But recently, the city center and other states on the west coast such as Selangor, Negeri Sembilan, and Melaka are also affected by the monsoon season. It become more tragic when this flood took a number of lives.
Here we can see that the weather is so unpredictable. We must be prepared for the worst things to come. Take precaution steps and measures to face this season so that it will not cause another major life-threatening event.
Below are things to do before, during, and after a flood.
Before A Flood
- Get to know your living area whether it is prone to flood or not
- Prepare the emergency kit which includes stuff like flashlight and batteries, related medicines and ointment, whistle, ready-to-eat food, water, toiletries, mobile phone and power bank, money, clothes, and important documents.
- Consider buying flood insurance for your property
- Familiarize your area i.e high places/hills/ higher level of building to evacuate
- Teach your kids how to respond to an emergency
- Secure your valuable item i.e lift it at a higher place or tie it too much stronger things.
- Stay tuned and updated to the recent news from radio, television, or online
- Do not use any of the electrical appliances to avoid electric shock
- Stay away from the electrical appliances that have been downed in the flood although it is insulated
- Do not get near to the electric pole especially the one that is made from metal
- Be alert to move when it is instructed to do so
- If the flood is rising too fast, be quick to move to a higher place
- Before moving, ensure all the electrical appliances is turned off and also the main switch
- Use stick when walking from one place to another to ensure the ground is not so firm
- Do not drive as vehicles swept away faster in a flooded area
- Try move to the Flood Evacuation Centre or Pusat Pemindahan Sementara (PPS) as fast as possible so that you can get settled down with all the help and food
After A Flood
- Return to your house when the authorities said it is safe
- Do not attempt to drive in the flooded area. Usually, these areas are eroded because of the flood.
- Take photos of all your damaged properties for any insurance claim
- Clean and disinfect your house and anything affected
- Avoid standing water as it may be electrically charged