Today we will be writing about basal metabolism rate, BMR or people just simply call it metabolic rate. It can be useful for you if you are up to weight management or to just avoid eating too much.
What is it?
It is a measure of how much your calorie (or energy) is burnt at rest.
How it works?
A little revision on science knowledge: excess energy in our body will be converted into fat, which then leads to weight gain.
Knowing your BMR can let you know:
- If your metabolism age (or people call that “body age”) is older or younger than others compared to peers.
- Your estimated daily energy requirement, which can help you in weight management.
How can I know if I am younger or older on metabolism age?
We are sorry that we don’t have a database for you to compare with your peers, but there are quite some metabolic age calculators available online for estimation.
Calculation on BMR and estimated energy requirement (EER)
Formula for BMR:
Male: 66.5 + (13.75 * weight in kg) + (5.003 * height in cm) – (6.775 * age)
Female: 655.1 + (9.563 * weight in kg) + (1.850* height in cm) – (4.676 * age)
Formula for EER:
BMR * Physical activity (PA)
|Exercise||Physical activity factor|
|Little to no exercise||1.2|
Once you know your EER, you can estimate how much should you eat daily, and you can manage your weight easier!
You are one step closer to healthy lifestyle
Now you have learnt all that. And try applying these knowledge to your daily life will help you a lot in living a healthy lifestyle!
- Ann, P. (2019, September 30). What Is Metabolic Age?. Retrieved 9 November 2019, from https://www.healthline.com/health/exercise-fitness/metabolic-age
- John, C. (2012, March 16). Be Fit: Is Your Metabolic Age Important?. Retrieved 9 November 2019, from https://patch.com/illinois/bolingbrook/be-fit-is-your-metabolic-age-important
- Tell Me About DR YLM. (2013, August 28). Understanding BMR. Retrieved 9 November 2019, from https://www.thestar.com.my/lifestyle/viewpoints/tell-me-about/2013/08/28/understanding-bmr/