What is a spider vein huh? In case you are curious whether or not you are having this, this is the picture
What are they?
They are blood pooled inside vein due to weak or damaged valve in veins. Spider veins can appear on face or legs. There are quite a lot of factors like age, gender, pregnancy, genetics, sun damage etc.
Will it cause any more problems?
Relax, the answer is no. Spider veins usually don’t lead to complications or more serious issue. Furthermore, you don’t need treatment for them in most cases. But if you are feeling uncomfortable and have self-conscious on it, these are some ways for you.
- Compression socks. It can improve blood flow and slow the progression of spider veins. But be noted that it can only reduce its visibility. These socks come in different lengths and pressure levels, be sure to talk to your doctor to know which suits you the best.
- Change in lifestyle. Exercising, lose weights, avoid standing or sitting for extended period of time will help minimizing the symptoms.
- Invasive procedures. If you just really can’t stand having spider veins, you may approach healthcare professionals to carry out procedures like sclerotherapy, laser treatment and surgery.
How can I prevent them?
- Wearing sunscreen. It helps to protect you from sun damages.
- Avoid tight clothing. They restricts your blood flow and thus increase your risk of getting spider veins.
- Elevate your legs. Raise your leg when you are sitting or lying down can help blood to flow back to your heart instead of pooling there.
In a nutshell
Relax, it is just a small problem that you can solve easily, if you just really can’t deal with the uncomfortability and want to solve it fast, healthcare professionals might be a choice for you.
- Jennifer, B. (2019, January 24). Treatments and preventions of spider veins. Retrieved 25 October 2019, from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324276.php
- Jennifer, B. (2019, January 24). Treatments and preventions of spider veins [Image]. Retrieved 25 October 2019, from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324276.php
- Olivia, D. (n.d.). Are Spider Veins Anything to Worry About?. Retrieved 25 October 2019, from https://www.sharecare.com/health/varicose-veins-legs/article/are-spider-veins-anything-worry-about&client=firefox-b-d&hl=en&gl=my&strip=1&vwsrc=0
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (n.d.). Varicose veins and spider veins. Retrieved 25 October 2019, from https://www.womenshealth.gov/a-z-topics/varicose-veins-and-spider-veins
- https://www.freepik.com/free-photos-vectors/woman”>Woman vector created by macrovector – www.freepik.com